Book reviews, art, gaming, Objectivism and thoughts on other topics as they occur.

Sep 10, 2006

Book Meme

John Baker was kind enough to inform me that I've been tagged for a book meme. Normally I'd let the tag pass by, but since he's such a nice fellow I thought I might as well go along with it. I've posted something similar to this before, but what the hey.

1. Name one book that changed your life.
I could go the easy route with this and say Atlas Shrugged, which would be true, but it should also be fairly obvious to anyone that reads this blog. So, instead, I'm giving credit to The Little Engine that Could, my favorite book when I was a very small child. It contains an instructive and important lesson that all children could benefit from internalizing.

2. Name one book that you've read more than once.
Atlas Shr . . . no, no, I'll think of something else. I've read almost every book that I've ever owned more than once, so I'll pick one at random: Cryptonomicon, by Neil Stephenson.

3. One book you would want on a desert island.
Probably the New York City yellow and white pages. If my presentiments about conditions on desert islands are correct I wouldn't have much time or energy for reading but I might get unexpected use out of a large book with thin pages.

4. One book that made you cry.
Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

5. One book that made you laugh.
The Wanderings of Wuntvor by Craig Shaw Gardner.

6. One book you wish had been written.
How to Become a Super-Hero in Thirty Seconds, Guaranteed

7. One book you wish had never been written.
I'll answer this even though I don't think there's much purpose to it: tie between The Communist Manifesto and the Bible. The removal of one book from the amazing pile of ridiculous slush out there isn't going to have much of an effect. Some crank will eventually come along and write something even worse.

8. One book you are currently reading.
Weirdly enough, I'm not, however I just finished The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

9. One book you've been meaning to read.
There's a few of these on my shelf at the moment, so I'll go with The Anubis Gates.

10. Tag five people.
Not a chance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd chosen your answer to number 10. But then again, we wouldn't have had your answers then.

SN said...

I couldn't find "How to Become a Super-Hero in Thirty Seconds, Guaranteed"...
but there is a new one titled The Physics of Superheroes.