Book reviews, art, gaming, Objectivism and thoughts on other topics as they occur.

Jun 26, 2008

As a Horse

My new company signed me up (without warning me, I was lucky that I saw the schedule posted by the copy machine yesterday!) for a "health check" where they look at your BMI, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. I'm still chugging along just fine.

My blood pressure is a tad high but not too bad: 134/80. Which incidentally means that I could become a truck driver should it become necessary or advisable. Blood sugar is fine. Cholesterol is fantastic. Apparently all the oatmeal and garlic I eat is good for something.

I'm just really, really, really, incredibly FAT. I got the usual comment from the nurse when she saw the scale, "You don't look like you weigh that much!" Well, I FEEL like I weigh that much. Or, rather, my ANKLES feel like I weigh that much. And hips. And my knees pop when I stand up after sitting still for a while. Ugh. I'm thinking of joining a gym, I've already (mostly) gotten used to standing all day at work. (When you weigh 344 lbs, it's no picnic, let me tell you! I've weaned myself off the advil only with effort.)

So there's the update for anyone who cares.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me recommend Art DeVanny who is now gaining some popularity with Objectivists. His system is essentially the Paleo Diet with a certain type of interval weight training and intermittent fasting. Google Art Devanny and start reading his posts. Many Objectivists (as well as others) are telling of how they lost 50+ pounds in under a year with DeVanny's system.

Best of luck.

Bob Sanders

SN said...

Congrats on the new job. I hope it works out to your expectations.

Anonymous said...

I second that! I've been on it for a few months and I feel great. Best of all, it seems to require zero will power. I used to be a choc-a-holic but I don't touch the stuff now because it just tastes bad to my newly adjusted taste buds.

A good helping of lard-encrusted meat more than makes up for the loss of this eating pleasure!