Book reviews, art, gaming, Objectivism and thoughts on other topics as they occur.

Jul 16, 2012

Bloodwork

So, I got a free glucose/ketone meter from Nova Biomedical for filling out a questionnaire, and I decided to test both today as a measure of how my diet is progressing.  So, here's the numbers:

Blood sugar = 83 mg/dL
Ketones = 0.2 mmol/L

That fasting blood sugar is pretty great, it's smack dab in the middle of the normal range (60-110 mg/dL).  However, I'm not in "nutritional ketosis" described as anywhere in the range between 0.5 and 3.0 mmol/L.  And I'm out of strips so I can't really monitor that.  Ketone strips are *expensive*, probably because demand is pretty low--diabetics only test their ketone levels once in a great while.

Still, I plan to go on monitoring my blood sugar (I should do a post-prandial in a couple of hours, after I have breakfast) to see how the diet is working at keeping it in check.  Keeping my blood sugar levels consistent is pretty much the only method I have of controlling my real problem: excess insulin.  Fortunately, it works pretty well.

Update: postprandial blood sugar, taken 1 hour after a meal: 88 mg/dL.  Awesome.

No comments: