Book reviews, art, gaming, Objectivism and thoughts on other topics as they occur.

Dec 10, 2012

Elimination Diet

My low carb/high fat diet has been going pretty well overall, but I'm still having a couple of chronic issues that just won't clear up no matter what I do.  Firstly, I have rosacea over my face, arms, and the backs of my legs that will not go away.  Secondly, I have wildly erratic problems with my monthly cycle.  Sometimes it's not so bad.  Sometimes I have horrifically bad cramps, bloating, constipation, so bad that I'll basically be stuck in bed for days at a time.

The thing is, that I can't just change what I eat for a few days and know what effect it's going to have on my cycle--it seems to be really dependent on everything I do for the entire month, if not longer.

So, I'm going to try doing an elimination diet this month to see if things even out at all.  Then I can start introducing foods again to see what, if anything, is causing my issues.

I already eschew grains, starches, and (most) sugar, although I do cheat on the sugar a little when I have chocolate.  So, here's what else I'll be cutting out:

chocolate
eggs
beef
pork
caffeine
root vegetables (largely because they have a LOT of carbohydrates and I'm particularly carb sensitive)
dairy
seafood
cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts)
squash
peppers

So, this kind of leaves the question of, what AM I going to eat?  Chicken, turkey, and green leafy vegetables, mostly.  Coconut oil.  Yeah, sounds boring.  But I'm sick of randomly falling over and being useless and miserable several days a month.  That, and I'm tired of my skin looking like I have a rash.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments: