Book reviews, art, gaming, Objectivism and thoughts on other topics as they occur.

Jul 9, 2007

Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End

For some reason Blogger will not allow me to attach a link to the title of this entry. I've been having some irritating problems like this for a while, like the fact that whenever I edit a post it puts the entire thing into a blockquote for some reason. They just rolled out some sort of new functionality package and the only result I've been able to detect is that a bunch of things STOPPED working.

Anyway, here is the link: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/pirates/atworldsend/

I heard a lot of negative comments about this movie; in fact, I only went to see it because I was seriously bored. I can somewhat understand the negativity, but I enjoyed the movie a lot. It reminded me more of the endgame of an RPG than of a movie, though. After spending the first two movies meeting new people and creatures and discovering a bunch of information, all of it comes together in the same place for the Big Showdown.

Pirates III handled the number of events a lot better than Spiderman 3 did and the movie wasn't filled with lengthy pauses where either nothing much happens or something happens but it makes no sense. There were a few surreal scenes but since the plot involves people that are supposed to be dead/enchanted/immortal/crazy those scenes were acceptable even if they were indecipherable.

I also thought the special-effects extravaganza/endgame was really, really sweet, although I have to admit it occured to me that I'd seen something remarkably similar in The Little Mermaid. I should also mention that if any GM did try to run the Pirates movies as an RPG, I would feel really sorry for them. Talk about splitting up your party!

No comments: