Book reviews, art, gaming, Objectivism and thoughts on other topics as they occur.

Dec 2, 2005

No Advertisements

You may have noticed that I have no advertisements on my blog and very few links; this is intentional. I don’t like clutter and I particularly dislike online ads. I don’t think anyone has come up with a truly clever or tasteful way of using the medium, and although I might be able to make some money by using them I consider not being offended by my own blog more important.

Rollover ads are so awful that I will actually cease patronizing a site that contains them. Much like telemarketing phone calls, they force me to fight with the ad in order to continue what I was already doing.

I think the reason they bother me so much is that I do not surf. Web surf, channel surf, you name it, I don’t do it. I don’t even drive without knowing exactly where I am going. The idea of permitting myself to be carried hither and yon by events is abhorrent to me.

I thought about waiting until I’ve acquired a reasonable number of readers and then introducing some ads, but I think it would be just a teensy bit rude to punish said readers because there are a lot of them. So, I’m committed to keeping this blog ad-free, excepting only useful doohickies like the Site Meter at the bottom of the page.

No comments: