Book reviews, art, gaming, Objectivism and thoughts on other topics as they occur.

Oct 4, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug



Looks pretty cool, but I wonder about Thrunduil saying "I will help you".  Of course, you don't see the context, but I'm hoping Jackson didn't alter the story to the point of having the wood elves become allies early on.  That would be annoying.

I really enjoyed the first movie a lot, so I'm looking forward to this one regardless.  I don't mind if Jackson *adds* elements--fleshes things out more, creates a more epic story.  Tolkien's book is really bare-bones and I have no problem if Jackson prefers to tell a more lush, involved tale.  In fact, I think introducing the Arkenstone as significant from the get-go is far superior to what Tolkein did in the book, which was to manufacture this MacGuffin out of thin air as a plot device.  If something is going to be important in your story, it needs to BE important.  It needs introduction.  Tolkein's book was about Bilbo's journey.  Jackson's movies are about the journey Bilbo went on.  

We'll see when it comes out.

No comments: