Click on the post title if you want more info on the movie. Anyway, I watched Man of Tai Chi a couple of days ago, and I wasn't really impressed. The whole thing just came across as really wonky and simplistic. Even the mystical Oriental-style gibberish about innocence and meditation and the purpose of martial arts was appallingly heavy-handed which kind of goes against the whole point of Oriental mysticism since it's supposed to be, you know, SUBTLE.
The fights were okay, I guess, but they were all set duels in arenas so there wasn't a whole lot interesting going on besides a ton of punching and kicking. Don't get me wrong, the fight choreography was good (as you'd expect from Yuen Woo Ping) it just wasn't particularly interesting.
Keanu Reeves also played the villain and displayed more of his classic nonexistent acting ability. He also looks really old and oddly decrepit in this film, which made the end fight between him and the hero look, well, dumb. The only really interesting fight in the entire movie is the one between the protagonist and his master, but they didn't really make much out of it.
All in all, "Man of Tai Chi" comes across more as an intentionally corny "how to produce a martial arts movie" demo than a real movie.
Book reviews, art, gaming, Objectivism and thoughts on other topics as they occur.
- ► 2014 (26)
- New Haircut
- Man of Tai Chi
- Skull and Shackles Session 33: Fort Secured
- Skull and Shackles Interlude: The Tale of Bikendi ...
- An Open Letter to Molly McIsaac
- Blooper Reel
- Ricardo's Shadow
- Had Beens
- Some Sightseeing
- Solar Clipper Trader Tales
- Getting the Hang of It
- Too Rich for My Blood
- Skull and Shackles Session 32: The Hold of Nightma...
- Sleepy Hollow: Rise Headless and Ride
- Adjective Triangles
- Declared, Affirmed, and Averred
- Creation and Distribution
- Skull and Shackles: Feruzi's Journal Part 2
- Skull and Shackles: Feruzi's Journal Part 1
- Stand and Deliver
- Skull and Shackles Session 31: The Reception
- Portrait: Chopper
- Caffeine, Vitamins, and I
- Feruzi's Portrait
- Skull and Shackles Interlude: Arbitrary Arbitratio...
- ▼ September 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (26)
- ► 2009 (92)
- ► 2008 (71)
- ► 2007 (107)
- ► 2006 (177)